Montana Experienced Electrical Project Estimator
At a Glance
- Estimators prepare work to be estimated by gathering drawings, specifications and related documents. They then review materials, attend meetings and do whatever is necessary to determine the scope of work and the required contents of estimates.
- Excellent written and verbal skills are required.
- A working knowledge of current and local electrical codes as well as trade services is required.
- Successful applicant will have a great work ethic, be able to network effectively with customers, vendors, suppliers and company team members.
- Must be able to travel for networking opportunities to research and open up new lines of business.
We’re looking for a Project Estimator to join our team at Tyler Electric. Ready to get your hands dirty working in all aspects of commercial and residential electrical? Then read on!
You’re a natural salesperson with an outgoing personality. Project Estimators work with a number of project stakeholders including architects, developers, owners, vendors and others.
You should be comfortable attending meetings, asking the necessary questions and negotiating with suppliers.
Our Project Estimators procure and track change orders, change proposals as well as preparing bids and proposals for our customers. If you don’t know the answer to a question, you’re comfortable finding the appropriate information sources and communicating it clearly.
You are organized… even when things are busy. Because you’ll be preparing estimates on multiple projects concurrently you should be a naturally organized person.
As a Project Estimator you enjoy a good checklist, dotting the T’s and crossing the I’s but are always on the lookout to improve the process – both for yourself and for your teammates. You’re driven with an outstanding work ethic.
You have a clean driving record. Travel to and from work sites is provided in company work trucks and vehicles. You should be comfortable driving in Montana, and a clean driving record is required.
You’re reliable and honest. Come heck or high water, we keep the promises that we make, and we are looking for Project Estimators who hold themselves to the same high standards.
The little things are important such as showing up to work when it’s a beautiful powder day, but more often it means treating others the way you expect to be treated. Simple? Sure it is. Always easy? Nope.
You pride yourself on attention to detail. As a Project Estimator we don’t (or at least we shouldn’t) need to tell you that the details really do matter. You’re meticulous, thorough and proud of your work.
You enjoy seeing customers happy and you strive for the recommendations that are sure to come.
You love doing things efficiently and independently. At Tyler Electric, the work that you do will have a disproportionate impact on the business. We believe that trusting in and empowering our employees is the best way to ensure that the work each individual does contributes massively to the whole.
With this in mind, as a Project Estimator you should enjoy and be able to work on a job site with minimal supervision and be able to report back on the progress and status of the job at regular intervals.
Things a Project Estimator Might Do
- Prepare work to be estimated by gathering drawings, specifications and related documents.
- Review specifications, drawings and attend pre-bid meetings, etc. to determine the scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Review bid documents prior to bidding to check for completeness, accuracy and coordination with other trades.
- Prepare estimates on multiple projects concurrently.
- Negotiate buy numbers with suppliers to obtain competitive pricing.
- Attend job meetings as required.
- Procure and track change orders as well as review pricing of any change proposals and change orders.
- Verify and maintain up-to-date electrical database pricing information.
- Present prepared estimates by assembling and distributing numerical and descriptive information.
- Prepare bids/proposals/quotations and send them to customers, providing any needed followup while answering customer questions.
- Rebid estimates as necessary.
- Must have working knowledge of current and local electrical codes.
- Must have knowledge of trade services and the electrical contracting and construction industries.
- 10 years’ experience preferred.
- Able to network effectively and professionally with customers, vendors, suppliers and company team members.
- Able to travel for networking opportunities to research and open up new lines of business.
About Tyler Electric
For the past 12 years, Tyler Electric has been helping homeowners, business owners and general contractors ensure that their electrical projects are completed on time, on budget and to the highest level of quality.
While the majority of our work surrounds the Bozeman, Montana community, we do perform work on a wide variety projects throughout the region including Wyoming, Idaho and the Dakotas.
The majority of our projects consist of:
- Government and community buildings (think courthouses, libraries and federal buildings)
- Commercial spaces (retail stores, restaurants and professional offices)
- High-end residential (usually 5,000+ sq. ft. homes in resort towns and mountainous terrain)
- Residential and multi-family (most often new construction homes and larger-scale condominium and townhome developments)
We are committed to our employees
There are many values that we hold dear, but chief among them is the golden rule. We serve our clients and our employees in the same manner in which we would want to be treated.
When we make a promise, we keep it. Even during recent construction slow-downs we were able to keep each of our employees in full-time positions. Was it easy? Heck no! Was it worth it? You bet it was.
We came out of the recession healthier as a company and stronger as a team than we would have otherwise.
We believe in small teams
Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more time accomplishing goals.
Each of us take pride and ownership of our work
There’s something about doing a job right that’s just good for the soul. From office staff up through master electricians, each of us believe in working hard and to the best of our abilities. Not just because it’s our job but because we know that the work we do is important and enduring for our customers.
We believe in a healthy work and life balance
Family is an important part of the Tyler Electric culture. That’s because many of us choose to live, work and play in Montana because it’s a great place to raise our children and to be together.
Good schools and universities, wide-open spaces, clean rivers and lakes (don’t even get me started on the fly fishing and skiing), abundant wildlife and generally good folks are all a part of what it is to live in Bozeman, Montana.
We encourage a healthy balance between the commitment you make to us and the commitment you’ve made to your family. In addition to your compensation package, each employee begins accruing vacation time 60 days after beginning work.
It’s all a part of our philosophy that you should work to live, not live to work.
The Whole Package
You must be willing to work from our home-base in Bozeman, Montana. If you’re the right fit for our company, we are happy to help with some relocation costs.
Our work is primarily in the Gallatin Valley area that surrounds Bozeman, Montana. On occasion we travel to perform work throughout Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and the Dakotas.
When travel is required employees are paid a per-diem and lodging is provided and paid for by Tyler Electric. We also ensure that employees will travel in company provided vehicles.
As a project estimator your travel will be on an as-needed basis and duration will be determined by a particular project.
Full-time Project Estimator will receive a generous compensation package that includes:
A competitive starting wage. Starting wage for this position is dependent on your experience and qualifications, but the successful applicant can be assured a competitive salary. Again, we’re seeking the right individual to contribute to our company and look at this as a long term investment – both in your future and ours.
Health insurance. We provide a 50% match for health insurance that includes both dental and vision.
Life insurance is paid 100% by Tyler Electric.
Paid time off begins accruing 60 days after being on the job.
A company work truck is provided for on the job travel.
Cell phones are integral to allowing employees to communicate effectively. A cell phone allowance or cell phone and plan is provided.
Athletic Club Membership is available to all employees. We believe strongly in health and fitness so hopefully we will see you at the Y after work!
If you’re looking for a great, family-owned company that values and respects each of our team members, then maybe you’ve met your match in Tyler Electric!
Our Project Estimator will receive a comprehensive compensation package, awesome benefits and the opportunity to work and play in the mountain town of Bozeman, Montana – consistently ranked as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
We encourage you to get in touch with us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone 406-284-2320, or by filling out the brief application below. Let us know if you have any questions!